Grande Prairie Family Centered Coalition
Babies Best Start empowers pregnant and parenting women to make healthy lifestyle choices by offering:
- Nutritional counselling
- Peer Support
- Prenatal, Postnatal, and Parenting Education
- Community Connections
- One on one support
For more information Please Visit us at:
Address: 10507-98 Avenue, Grande Prairie, AB T8V 4L1
PARENTING SUPPORT SERVICE
Caring Dads Program
What is Caring Dads?
Through 17 sessions fathers will...
- Develop skills to cope in healthy ways with frustrating situations
- Understand how different fathering strategies and choices affect children.
- Increase their awareness of controlling, abusive, and neglectful attitudes and behaviours.
- Be provided with strategies to strengthen the father-child relationship
The Caring Dads group program runs once a week for 17 weeks. This group offers...
- A unique opportunity for men to connect as fathers
- A combination of active group discussions, exercises, and homework Facts about fathering.
Grande Prairie Alberta
Council for Lifelong Learning offers literacy and adult learning programs and services for all adults and families.
Our programming includes:
- Basic life skills (legal knowledge, literacy, ESL, and budgeting/financial skills);
- Family Literacy (developing skills through literacy activities in our parent and child classes);
- Employability Enhancement (GED Exam Prep, Computer Learning Lab. ELL/ESL, The Reading Network, and Workplace Essential Skills Training.
For more information visit us:
At Lions Learning centre 9625 Prairie Road
Grande Prairie, AB
Give us a call #780-539-6077 or click here
Healthy Families program is a voluntary home visitation program for new parents who can benefit from support. These services are offered at no cost to the family. Parents can begin the program pre-birth or post birth and continue as long as the family wishes, up to age 12 of the child. Support is driven by needs identified by the parents, and parents take an active role in determining their goals. A family support worker meets with the family in their home as often as once a week to provide support with such things as:
- Challenges of parenting a new baby.
- Activities to promote parent/child bonding and attachment.
- Nutrition information.
- Emotional health/postpartum depression.
- Connecting to other community services.
- Understanding baby`s growth and development.
- Safety issues and childproofing your home.
- Finding medical care and/or information during the last trimester.
The Families Moving Forward program
- Support families and help them better understand their children who are affected by prenatal alcohol.
- Give parents new skills and strategies to use when caring for their children with FASD.
- Encourage family progress in a positive direction.
- Restore hope and optimism to families caring for children with FASD.
- Enable teachers and health care providers, as well as family members, to recognize the signs of FASD.
- Educate individuals, families, and the community in evidence-based services they can offer to families with alcohol affected children.
Centre For Young Parents is FREE OF CHARGE to teens in Grande Prairie and the surrounding area.
- Our program does not require parental signatures or doctor referrals. If you are pregnant or parenting, and under the age of 20, please give us a call so you can start taking advantage of all the services and assistance we have to offer you!
Services we offer:
- On-site Nursery- Free of charge while participants are in school
- Health Unit Nurse- Bi-weekly visits for immunizations
- Clothing donation and exchange- Free supplies donated by the community
- Prenatal Nutrition Program
- Early Pregnancy Classes and MUCH MORE!
For more information visit us:
At Lions Learning Centre,
9625 Prairie Road, Grande Prairie AB
Give us a call #780-538-3854 or click here
Women's Support Group
- Developing and maintaining healthy relationships
- Setting limits and boundaries
- Building confidence
When and Where: This group is held every TUESDAY evening from 6:30PM - 8:30PM at the PACE Building (10031-103 AVE). Cost: Free
For more information phone: 780-539-6692